“We believe that mandatory Human Rights Due Diligence legislation has a role to play in promoting respect for human rights, among a broader range of approaches where all businesses and states need to meet their respective responsibilities and/or duties.”
AIM – European Brands Association
AIM’s collaborative global responsible sourcing initiative – AIM-Progress – is about positively impacting people’s lives and ensuring respect for human rights.
As part of this commitment to respect human rights in their value chains, brands are implementing Human Rights Due Diligence, which consists of:
- Putting in place a HRDD processes.
- Embedding respect for human rights into corporate policies.
- Undertaking ongoing human rights due diligence.
- Assessing actual and potential adverse impacts in own operations and across business relationships.
- Integrating and acting on the findings.
- Tracking effectiveness of efforts.
- Communicating about efforts.
- Implementing effective grievance mechanisms.
AIM is actively involved in the discussions on a possible future EU legislative framework on Human Rights Due Diligence. Our AIM contribution to the debate supports a framework which:
- Encourages robust HRDD processes fully embedded in governance and company culture, not a mere “tick-the-box” exercise.
- Sets standard of conduct – companies need to take reasonable steps to prevent and address human rights impacts across their value chains.
- Encourages collaboration by companies within and across sectors.
- Be part of a smart mix of measures – mandatory and voluntary, national and international. Businesses need to respect, States need to protect Human Rights.
PROMOTING HUMAN RIGHTS DUE DILIGENCE